Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Personal Investment

Today I was given a cheque to reimburse me for the personal expenses I have encountered over the past 6 months setting up a new library. This was the third cheque of not insignificant amount, reimbursing me for the money I spent before goods/ books/ DVD's would be delivered, or magazines subscribed to, or ....

Before I took up the post I got a new credit card, as I knew there would be times when I would need to purchase without going through a long ordering process, or needing the convenience of credit, like online. Having a separate credit card would help me keep track of these 'few' items. However, what I did not anticipate was how much personal money I would invest in getting this library up and running.

Does every School Librarian do this? (I know of a few who do) Would other faculty members do this? Do Principals do this?

Are there any schools who have credit facilities to subscribe or order online that does not involve a personal credit card?

What is it that drives School librarians to dip into their savings, max out their credit cards on resources for the school? I don't have an answer - maybe someone else does....

Meanwhile - I better bank the cheque before I lose it!

2 comments:

Pauline said...

I have a school debit card. I can only make purchases, and submit the reciepts monthly and the Business Manager debits the appropriate section of the school budget.

Sumika Teresa Chan said...

I adore the school library credit card system as i have a long procedures of purchasing collection for the library. A lot of signatures from subject panel heads, the principal and the accountant...etc and the filing of the invoice and delivery forms...etc. Most of the time i need to buy the books first i.e. use my cash but not credit cards ( avoid having personal benefits or bonus points)