Saturday, March 28, 2009

Listing ....

In the past week I have been involved in creating lists for units of work and themes.

One started with the math co-ordinator passing me a list and asking which of the titles we had, and if we didn't have them could we buy them, and then could they be catalogued in a special maths collection. The list she gave me was bit limited, so I found some more to work from and we had about a hundred of the titles. I tagged them with the 'topic'(multiplication etc) in the catalogue and then added it to a list for distribution amongst the teachers. I created the list using google docs and have linked it from our netvibes page. Maths Resources I explained to the teacher that I didn't think putting them in a special math place was very practical, the teachers could use the list to locate the resources when they needed them.

Another list was to identify novels that told the story of contemporary young people who faced challenges such as AIDS, landmines, poverty etc. This list was a consideration list - one from which we will purchase titles from for a wide reading project in English for next year. I asked the wise ones on the OZTL listserve, and the ECIS listserve for suggestions and they in came thick and fast - providing far more than I could have collected solo in 24 hours. Contemporary Youth Stories Compiling this took most of the day, as I wanted to also supply a brief synopsis of the book to help students and the teachers make informed choices.

Another list I made was less thorough, identifying historical fiction based on the Ancient Roman civilization for 13 year olds. Ancient Rome Fiction

We are now working on finding titles that encompass the identity theme...


After going through the motions of creating these lists, I realised that I should have used Goodreads, Librarything or Shelfari to create the list, and distributed the URL of the results page (call me a slow learner!). Here are the results for 'identity' in Goodreads, complete with reviews and covers. Identity Titles

What I would need to do with these results is to create a more focused compilation for the age level through my own Goodreads page for the students and teachers to access. I prefer Goodreads as they do not have an age limit of 13 stated.

With the Math list, I should not have created an actual list, but just used the library catalogue, and shown the teachers how they could access the information to find what they needed.

Lists are a traditional and safe form of collecting data, they can still have a purpose, but they can be quite static, need constant revising and take a lot of time to create. Using one of the web 2.0 library tools and the library catalogue is the way to go - it will require teaching of the process and access but, it will be worth it in the end.

No more list creation for me!

No comments: