Saturday, August 29, 2009

Planning the year


Toward the end of last academic year our whole staff got together to plan the units of inquiry for the entire year. See this previous post about it.

As a result of this, every year group went away to create their own detailed plan of when the units would start and how long they would go for and created their own calendars. I pasted these calendars on my noticeboard next my desk so I could refer to them when required. These individual calendars are fabulous if you have only one year group to worry about, but when you are working across the school and intend to work closely with each year group on one or more UOI, I need to see it all laid out so I can plan the time effectively, rather than be running around trying to make sense of it all.

So, I had a concept I learned form Katie Day in Singapore in how I could make it all come together in a way that will make sense to me, and which would give me a better view about the time line and frame of the units.

The result is here.


This took about 2.5 hours to compile the information, create the table and complete the details required. Through doing this I learned more about Mac program "Pages" (Apple's much more user friendly answer to excel) and using tables to get the result I wanted.

After looking at my handiwork and feeling pretty chuffed about the result, I thought that the other cross school teachers could use it - music, drama, PE, Chinese, Art, Student support and of course the Primary Principal and leadership. So I printed off a few and gave them out in the lunch room. The response was of overwhelming gratitude as they had all been struggling with the same issues as I had been. The library and services we offer has gone up another notch on the "we love our library scale" just because I shared with other staff one of the tools I developed to make my job easier.

Thanks to Katie Day for her 'organising chart' I based mine on, I now feel I am ready to face the year!

4 comments:

pru said...

Dianne - this looks great, and no doubt you feel a little more in control of it all when the huge task ahead is contained and organised in one place.
Do the colours have significance?

Dianne said...

Hi Pru,
There are 6 strands of the PYP curriculum - if you open the PDF file, along the bottom is the key for the strands - colour coding is an important part of my life! Each of the year groups creates a curriculum based around these 6 strands or key concepts.

Megan said...

Looks really good. We have a long range plan for our campus that shows the dates for each UOI for each grade (ECE to Gr3) but it only shows the TD theme so we have to look at a different document to see what the UOI is about.
I'm with you on the importance of colour-coding - our two documents use different colours for each TD theme and it drives me nuts!

Mrs. C. said...

Totally awesome Dianne, just the sort of thing I need to do. I have several huge sheets of extended UOIs for each year from Nursery through to Grade 5 so I just end up with a mess spread across the desk when I try and figure out who I can support and when! Something like this could save my sanity.
Thanks for sharing.