Sunday, February 28, 2010

Toothpaste and Bananas



Last week I attended a meeting of School Librarians in English Speaking schools in HK. (ALESS) One of our colleagues, Scott Eder gave a short presentation on "Are bananas and toothpaste taking over my library?" where he talked about for many of the things in his life he is a creature of habit - like squeezing toothpaste and peeling a bananas - he does it the same every time just because it is a learned behaviour.

He went on to question us - is what we do in our school library toothpaste and bananas? Do we think about what we are doing on a daily basis - are they actions of routine and habits or are we thinking about why we are doing them and the way we do them?

It was a great informal discussion on how to evaluate our library programs - how we spend our time, who we work with and what we prioritise. He suggested we do a quick evaluation or checklist at the end of the day on how we spent the time. He gave out a form that has a number of "activities" - working with students, collaboration with teachers, curriculum support, tech support / troubleshooting, library administration, Library operations, professional development,school committees, curriculum resourcing & other. He checks off what he spent the day doing, and where possible how much time was spent on each activity. He says it takes about 5 minutes but gives him a lot of information.

So this week, I am going to try this to see where my days actually go. Will let you know how it goes next time!

4 comments:

Misti said...

Could you share this form? Keeping track of what I do in my media center sounds like a great reflective practice.

Amy said...

I would also love to have this form. I used one at the beginning of the year, but it had too much writing. I would love to see the check off version.

Mama Librarian said...

Oh, yes, I would love to see the form too! Great chance to reflect in a short time. I recommend a journal but seldom have the energy at the end of the day to do it.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.