Saturday, March 6, 2010

Where do I go through the day?



Image form Morguefile


Last blog post I mentioned how I was going to track my activity through each school day for a week, well, I managed to do it and have produced a spreadsheet and pie chart to accompany it and make sense of it all.

The resulting pie chart is here ....

For a full picture of what the different categories include, the full file is here ... Activity Logs Look for 'Statistics of log' - a PDF file. I have also included on that wiki page the template I used and how the finished log looked - I chose to write notes about what the activity was for my own interest, but I also think it gives a bit more meat to the types of activities. The notations meant that I had to re-enter the times on another spreadsheet, but that didn't take very long.

We had a major problem to sort out with regard to student printing issues this week, and looking back, the negotiations dealing with this took up a large part of the time as did the upcoming camp I am involved in. However, what was pleasing in the week was the times of "teaching" and "working with students" combined was greater than any other category - over 25% and this was a quiet week for this activity.

I thought the time to complete the log would be intrusive and overwhelming, but I found it manageable as long as I had it open on my computer all day, and entered the data as soon as possible. I would also revisit it at the end of each day to make sure it was complete. The times are closest to how long it took - probably a little bit more generous than actual, but then I usually tend to underestimate how long something does or should take to complete, and need to consider movement to and from places as well.


The activity was worthwhile doing, I am going to do another one next week to get a bigger picture, and may extend it to the end of the term. I also created a template with our library assistants. I did not get their results at the end of Friday, so we will look at it as a team on Monday at our fortnightly meeting to see where their time is being spent.

I am going to pass these documents onto my line manager for his interest and education of how I spend my days.

I recommend you have a go - the template I have provided is in word format so you can download it and modify it to your own needs. Thanks again to Scott for inspiring me to have a go!

PS. Since posting I have realised there is nothing about sitting around reading books all day ....

7 comments:

Fran said...

Dianne,
What a great idea! I'm sure that no two weeks are alike, so continuing to complete the template for several weeks will give you a better picture of how your time is spent.
Thanks for sharing the template. Once we have finished the move into our new facility, I want to give this a try. I think I'll include the time I spend after hours on professional development, too.

Bryant said...

Hi Dianne,
It is so very interesting that you are doing this. With the budget crunch stateside and especially in my own state the stakes are high for TLs to "justify" their existence; as such, my county has "recommended" that we keep a data wall with just such statistics monthly. Initially everyone was posting them on a literal wall in a hallway or in the library. A colleague and I resorted to posting the data on our respective spaces on the school websites. Like you, I was amazed at the visual it gave me. Thanks for the idea graph. I will try to incorporate that in the future. Cheers, Bryant

Amy said...

I will be giving this a go with my assistant next week! With all the budget cuts I would love to have a visual of how we spend our day! Once again. Thanks for sharing!

Jacquie said...

I did something very similar a number of years ago. My purpose at the time was to show what tasks I was doing AND whether I was doing them for elementary students or secondary students (I was shared at the time). I was able to prove to the high school principal that the elementary portion of my job had climbed to 80% vs. 20% time spent with secondary level students. He made sure that the very next year, I became exclusively secondary.

Also - my form was a bit different. I had one form per day and the categories at the top, instead of being the days of the week, were periods in the day. At the time we had 40 minute periods. When each period ended, I put check marks next to the various tasks. So - if i taught a class that period, 4 checks went next to teaching. If I spend half the period working with individual students and the other half working on a book order, 2 check went under working with students, and 2 checks went under Library administration. This made it easy to count checks and figure minutes on each task per day. I did this for three weeks and then compiled it into a graph.

Thanks so much for sharing. This is a very effective technique, and surprisingly easy to do.

Martin Liebermann / zeitspuren said...

Hello,

on http://librarygrits.blogspot.com/2010/03/tracking-my-activities.html
you have used my copyrighted image http://www.flickr.com/photos/liebermann/580181284/

You did not aks me for permission, did not attribute me as author, and did not attach my copyright note.

You probably failed to do this because you "found the image on the net" and felt entitled to just used it.

You are a teaching librarian with a highly visible profile. I hold you responsible to act with the required diligence, and to respect other peoples intellectual and artistic property. If you do not have permission to use an image, you must not use it. Adding a nice image to embellish your post is certainly not fair use.

You have not only violated my copyright. You also contributed to the ongoing expropriation of photographers. Without us, the images you happily use would not exist. As a freelance photographer, I am badly hurt by the rampant infringement of my rights. The image you have used has been copied hundreds of times, and many times for commercial uses. I got nothing in return.

This said, I claim a compensation. I consider your blog educational, otherwise I would have sent you my customary invoice for a retroactive license fee.

In your case, I just ask for proper citation and a link back to me.

Please add my copyright note "Copyright by Martin Liebermann / zeitspuren" to the image, with a link to www.martin-liebermann.de

You are also requested to put a link to the original source http://www.flickr.com/photos/liebermann/580181284/
on the image.

If you really want to make amends, you could use my complaint as starting point for a blog post on proper use and citation of images.

Sincerely

Martin Liebermann
info@martin-liebermann.de
www.martin-liebermann.de

Dianne said...

I have sent this email to Martin as well as posting on this blog and giving the correct citation and asking permission - just a reminder to all about using images carefully. Many thanks to Martin for his forgiveness and ability to teach.

Dear Martin,

Thanks for bringing to my attention that I had used your image without permission and without citation on my blog Librarygrits. I am usually very careful about using images, using public domain clipart, images, photgraphs, and have since switched to using creative commons, and do usually do include the correct citation. I must have got carried away with the post without including proper attribution. I am happy to take the image down. Otherwise I will do as you asked and place the correct link, citation and attribution.

Sorry again, I am usually more careful, and thanks again for the reminder on the correct way of doing things.

Martin Liebermann / zeitspuren said...

Dear Dianne,

thank you for your kind reply. It was exactly what I was hoping for - a thoughtful answer and a quick response. We all have to be more attentive and careful.

Please don't take the image down, I am pleased to contribute to your interesting blog (my living partner works as librarian ...).

If you want to use other images of mine, please feel free to ask me.


Kind regards

Martin