Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Teaching all the time....

This past week has been incredibly busy as many PYP and MYP classes 'need' my expertise in database and bibliographic tools. One of my aims is to empower all the teachers to know how to access these tools and to use them at a high standard so I only ever need to 'teach' it once or twice to a class each year, and as classes move through the school, they use these tools as regularly as if they would use Google or any other favourite tool. The teachers would also become experts in the use of these databases.

I would really like to get onto other things to be teaching - teaching about database use is pretty dry stuff, even if you have an authentic reason to use it at that time of learning. I want to get into collaborative projects and finding meaningful ways to incorporate other amazing tools within the curriculum and co-teach rather than be 'the teacher'. So, for this to happen all the teachers need to be up to speed on the databases and the basic stuff I am currently teaching, it needs to be part of their everyday lives and what they talk about with their students, the teachers need to be models and have a good understanding, and treat them as tools, encouraging and expecting their use. These tools need to be embedded into the curriculum and used everyday. They should not be anything special that is taught by anyone special, otherwise they end up being too special to use.

So, one of my goals next year is to make the database use as common as the Google search amongst all secondary students and staff. Now, just have to think of some strategies to accomplish this!

3 comments:

Arnold said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://dataentryjob-s.com

Sue Toms said...

If the library OPAC software was as user-friendly as Google, and if the specific database links appeared in the OPAC along with physical resources when performing a search, I think people would prefer to use the OPAC to Google. The problem I see is that most OPAC interfaces are awful. There is not enough emphasis on this in the TL industry I believe.

Dianne said...

I visited a school where Destiny was supposed to also access their database and search their databases for articles - but it wasn't working properly .. so didn't see it in action. I might ask about the capabilities of our system.

Looking at putting in websites into the OPAC next year now the catalogue has been cleaned up.