Sunday, February 6, 2011

Short Cut Cataloguing


I have been on a short break from work over the past week due to the Chinese New Year holidays, which has given me some to catch up on home chores and do some other work related jobs which included updating some of my resources from the past.

A few years ago I presented at an IASL conference in Malaysia (2002) on "fast and furious cataloging for the overworked and underutilized school librarian." I hadn't given it much thought over the past few years as I was in a position where I personally did not need to be doing cataloging. I showed my staff the things I had found and they were using them, and I thought that by now most people knew what they were doing in the cataloging area. Katie Day encouraged me to update and republish it, having never got around to it. But, over the past couple of weeks through conversations with people, and through posts to listserves I am on, it has again come to my attention there are still school librarians who are spending too much time doing original cataloging - due probably only because no one has shown them the short cuts.

So this post is basically a link to the updated and checked version of the same presentation I did oh so long ago on tools you can be using to reduce your original cataloging figures. An experienced university librarian once told me in 2001 that any library should not be doing more than 5% original cataloging - I am sure that figure could be reduced with the access we have to records now.

So, if you are still plugging away trying to input too many records into your system individually, I hope these tips and resources will be able to help you. If you have already got yourself sorted, it may be worth a visit to see if there is anything that you use that I have missed, and if so, please let me know and I will add it. The link is to a Google site I created Short Cut Cataloging

Let me know what you think - helpful or not? other points to consider? Suggestions ...

Just as a disclaimer - I have no connection with any companies linked or mentioned, I found them through searching and added them as a resource to help others. I do not want to be held responsible for anything beyond posting the links!

No comments: