Saturday, October 15, 2011

Global Connections


Photo by Xeni Jardin CC Inside One Wilshire http://www.flickr.com/photos/xeni/397163659/

There has been a lot going on at the library over the past weeks, which I will share with you gradually. One of the events has been connecting personally with people I knew online first.

Mal Lee has been an active participant in the OZTL_NET listserve for many years. He is someone I have admired from afar for his work in making digital literacy come alive in Australian schools through IWB, BYOD etc. He has written many books and papers on the subject which I have read. He emailed me one day and asked if he could visit our school while he was on a holiday in Hong Kong. Of course he could! It was great to spend a couple of hours with him and his partner Sue Lowe talking about how our school works and making comparisons and sharing ideas. (I neglected to get a photo!) Mal Lee's Site is here

Darcy Moore I know from twitter. Darcy was preparing a teaching exchange to Denmark with stopovers in many places, which he used Twitter for to get insider and local information. I helped Darcy find accommodation in HK and we arranged to meet at my school where we spent a couple of hours discussing what each others schools are doing for different things and bouncing ideas off each other. Darcy blogged about his visit

Both of theses meetings would not have happened without the connections I have made through digital means - listerves first and now twitter. These tools (plus others) have made the world a smaller place when it comes to participating in dialogue with like minded people, bouncing and sharing ideas, creating together, and collaborating on new ventures. It all makes for a very exciting world and, it is still nice to meet face to face!

No comments: