Friday, November 16, 2012

Learning with new eyes

http://www.briarpress.org/19297 Licensed by CC


Last weekend I had the privilege to facilitate another IB Librarians continuum workshop, this time in Hong Kong and a workshop that spanned all three programmes. I was also privileged to work with people I have known for a long long time in my library life and to being able to draw on their experience and knowledge really helped to enhance the workshop.

I not only enjoy facilitating these workshops for the opportunity to engage  adult learners, but also the opportunity to learn more about what I am facilitating, and this workshop was no exception.

These workshops are comprised of 12 x 90 minute sub workshops held over 3 days, and each sub workshop takes about 4-5 hours to research and plan. I need to be so familiar with the content that I spend many hours researching to make sure my understandings are correct. I also like to engage the participants in constructive learning with guided inquiry, so creating meaningful activities which will lead the participants to the learning intention takes a lot of planning and thinking.

As the workshop unfolds I get to see how successful the planning was, in many cases the activity takes much longer than anticipated, so to ensure that deep learning occurs, I extend it by minutes or hours until everyone has made some meaning out of the activity. In some cases the activity ends up going in a direction that was not anticipated, but, that is still good as it is the way the learners wanted to go.

By teaching something and working with the information on a different level I also get to see what I am trying to share with new eyes and this weekend was no exception. Our school has spent 3 years working on a scope & sequence for digital and information literacy, and as the participants were working through actively creating a mini scope and sequence I saw with increased clarity what needed to be done to make our scope & sequence much better to align with the IB documents/ approaches to learning and trans disciplinary skills (ATL/TDS).

What did I see?

Below is a brief snap shot of the possibilities ..... (Thanks to one of the PYP working groups in the workshop) The Transdisciplinary Skills are from the IB PYP documents, the outcomes are from the IB PYP Documents and remain the same through K-6 , the skills are how the the outcomes will be reached through specific teaching and will be the dynamic part of the document.

Click on the following to make larger in a new window.



So a template for an Middle Years Programme / Diploma Programme IB Scope & Sequence using the ATLs would look like this : Approaches to learning are from the IB documents, as are the overarching outcomes, The specific outcomes are from the NY Information Fluency Continuum and the where, when, how & who are inputs from teachers and map where the outcomes are covered across the curriculum.


The IB is having a bit of a shake up with regard to some of the key elements of the IB programmes, making the three programmes align better with each other in terms of support structures and language, which will only benefit all those involved.

The changes will be good to keep consistency, however if you do embark on a fluency document in the near future keep in mind, there will be some changes afoot which may need you to readjust a few things.

So even though you are not in an IB school, how can you align your scope & sequence continuum with your standards & documents? The NY Continuum already aligns with the common core standards in the US.

I also need to align this format with an inquiry cycle ... still ruminating on this.




1 comment:

Gary Green said...

Hi Dianne

Interesting post as always. My take on the inquiry cycle is that it could easily stay in its current form with the cyclical stages of awareness and understanding, reflection and action. It fits with PYP and DP because it allows us to engage at the point of learning need. So, some will start with reflection (what do I know, what do I have to do, what questions do I have). Other students may go with with awareness and understanding (what else do I need to build my understanding and from where). Others will start with a more experimental way of engagement by taking action, (do a survey, go out and talk to people, attempt the task and see what I can do etc). This action stage is particularly important in Exhibition and Personal project stages as well as inherent in CAS/TOK.
The great value in my view of the current IB inquiry cycle is that it is loose enough in structure to cater for different types of inquiry and it values where the learner is as the starting point. It encourages more fluid, natural types of inquiries that increase ownership and autonomy of learning with our students. I love it:-)