Thursday, October 17, 2013

Accidental Advocacy


A few weeks ago I  had an extraordinary week at work as far as advocacy and making new contacts in the school goes and it wasn't through anything huge. It was just through my willingness to step out of my comfort zone and volunteer to be involved.

The first instance was at the school swimming gala where I volunteered to swim 50 metres for the house staff team. I used to be a competitive swimmer and I have recently been working on my fitness so the event was not too much out of my comfort zone, but through being willing to do it rather than sitting fully clothed on the stands I showed I was ready for action and to be involved. Our team didn't win, but the resulting kudo's and comraderie I felt in the school staff room after this was more than anything I could expect or anticipate.

I also had the opportunity to accompany a group of students on a Reef Clean Up which meant scuba diving on a school day. (I know, but someone has to do it). I went out on a boat with two other staff members who are dive instructors and seven students who are collectively working on developing the school scuba club. We did two dives with about 5 other small school groups and brought up about 30kg of rubbish from the ocean floor.

It was a great day not only for connecting with a few students and their passions, but also to spend some time with the staff members involved to get to know them better and on a different level than what is the norm and do something for the environment.

So, my learning from this is if you need to increase your profile in your school - step outside of your comfort zone, volunteer and get involved in places where you can make a difference or to be seen to be participating.



    No comments: