Saturday, November 23, 2013

Infographics in practice

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of facilitating a discussion at our local School librarians group meeting about collection development.

Before the meeting I ran a survey on collection development practises, gave the participants a week to complete the survey with a few gentle reminders along the way. When it was time to collate the results of the survey I found myself in a bit of pickle of how to present the findings that was short and interesting. If you remember back about a month ago I was at Learning 2.013 and infographics were one of the short sessions I attended, so I thought I would give making one go. I have been interested in infographics for a while and have dabbled, but I previously didn't have any raw data to transform. There are so many ways to present information graphically, I just had to figure out what was the story I wanted to tell and the best way to tell it.

I played with a few infographic apps and decided that Piktochart was the best one for my needs. The collated survey results are below. Click on the image to enlarge it or you can visit the online version here Collection Development.


I was at the time being included in the year 9 Humanities planning for urban stress, and part of the criteria was that they had to present collected data in a meaningful way.  This was my chance to promote myself and inforgraphics, so I sent a quick email to these teachers letting them know about piktochart and how it tied in with their criteria on the rubric. Doors instantly opened wide to welcome me in for more information.  Infographics are a really powerful way of transforming and seeing the learning as there is so much thinking and manipulation of the data, the students are immersed.

Piktochart was a great start to creating my own infographic, and I would highly recommend it for students as it is very intuitive and easy to use. However, since creating this infographic I have had some training in basic graphic design and advanced pages and keynote, and my goodness, the possibilities are infinite of what is possible with these tools. I will be playing and creating in my spare time now to make more fun things.

Have you made infographics? Can you share? What tools did you use?
PS. See the comments for some more great tools that have been shared...

4 comments:

Charles said...

I've heard Infogr.am recommended. I personally use Adobe Illustrator and buy vector graphics from Graphicriver.net to save time on drawing all the graphics from scratch. I also use Font Squirrel to download infographic-style fonts.

Dianne said...

Thanks Charles for sharing your tools, I was also made aware of the following places for Graphic tools at the Pages training :

Colourlovers http://www.colourlovers.com for palettes to use to ensure the colours used work together.

Flaticon http://www.flaticon.com for a huge range of CC icons to choose from.

Sketchup is also a great place to find icons.

Also, most government agencies have data sets about their country - you search for 'country' data sets and an amazing array of information comes up.

Also Google forms can transform your raw data into graphs (I did not know this before) - in the editable form - go to Responses -> summary of responses.
I always used esurveypro for this reason - but now I know I don't have to! I need to play around a bit more with the Google apps.

Anne Weaver said...

Di,
I tried a few infographic tools and found
http://www.easel.ly/ easiest when I was needing to make an infographic in September,
Cheerio,
Anne

Faiz Sheikh said...

The biggest infographics directory: http://infographicsdirectory.blogspot.com/

Submit and promote your infographics for free!