Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 9 : Trend setters?

Day 9 of the 20 day blog challenge


Share a trend I have or would like to try in the library.

Trends come and go, but are they trends if they stay?


For those who are regular readers of this blog, you will know I have successfully genrefied the fiction collection in my previous place of work, I would like to do the same thing in my current place of work as I do believe it makes a huge impact on the amount of reading undertaken by students in a school. 

I would also like to explore ditching dewey, and linking fiction to curriculum units for wide reading across all subjects.

Something I would also like to have a go at is running workshops for year 12 and 13 (DP) students who have free study periods in the school day to increase their opportunities for learning the essential skills and about resources that would be helpful.

I am always on the look out for new ways to connect to students and for students to connect to learning either through reading or otherwise. I would also like to explore encouraging gaming for learning in all its forms through clubs, and time allocation.

Our library has a facebook account and a twitter account, and a youtube channel? Could these be counted as trends or just something that should be done?

One of the most important trends is for librarians is working collaboratively with teachers in planning, resourcing, teaching, assessing units of work across the curriculum. This is the most challenging but the most important work we can do to influence learning and to keep our jobs.

We also need to be leaders and creating trends - where have these trends come from? Just one person sharing their idea which others thought was a good one. 
What trend could you start?

The quote  "Don't follow a trend. Follow your heart." by Krist Novoselic is one to reflect on. I think we need to be aware of the trends that are taking place, but then really think about how you can personalise it and make it applicable to your clients and situation and adopt or adapt as required.

No comments: