Wednesday, December 31, 2014

End of year pressure


I am a big fan of Goodreads, and I particularly like the reading challenge you can set yourself a reading goal at the beginning of each year. Last year I set a goal to read 50 books through the year, I achieved that goal in October, and then extended the challenge to 70 books. I tend to read mostly young adult fiction and a few books for grown up and some non fiction.

I am now sitting here on the last day of the year in a quandary - I have two books to read to reach my goal before midnight tonight. I am halfway through one, so do I count the half read one and move onto a short read (ie picture book) to read my goal? - or do I just relinquish the opportunity to reach the goal and move on to the next year knowing I was so close .... but not quite there?

There was this blog post from book riot at the beginning of december on "Why I won't be participating in the Goodreads Challenge"  where the author Jessica Pryde found that she became consumed by the reading challenge, and continual increased her goal each year, but then found it difficult to enjoy her reading with the pressure of the high number she had set herself.

Then there is another blog post about why AliGeorge will be taking the Goodreads challenge, and I am tending to lean more toward agreeing with the points in this post. I like to be able to see my reading over the past 12 months, and as I look back over the year, I am surprised the books I read were only from this calendar year and not before. This was the first year I participated in the reading challenge and although I didn't keep a record from previous years, I know it was the year that I read most books since leaving high school, and I will put this down to the Goodreads reading challenge.

So after reading a bit more than 19339  pages and 68.5 books over 12 months, I will probably finish the one book I am halfway through and call it a year of reading, the purpose of the challenge was to motivate me to read more and it has achieved that, and I went way beyond my original goal of one book a week.

So what did I read this year? Have a look at this link .. My Goodreads 2014 reading log for the full list.


No comments: